Bike Rescue is looking for new trustees to bring new energy and a broader range of perspectives and skills to the group. Could you join us?
About the charity
Bike Rescue is a charity based in York working to repair bicycles and get them back on the road. Our primary aims are to:
- Repair old bicycles to reduce waste
- Provide affordable bicycles to people in York, both through sales and through donation schemes
- Provide cycle mechanic training, including to people who are not otherwise in education, training or employment.
We regularly receive grant funding to help us to run free courses and training for the unemployed and to take on trainees. Our income otherwise comes from repairs and sales of bikes and parts and contracts for training. Our expenditures are on rental of our two premises and employment of skilled mechanics, to ensure a high standard and quality of refurbishment.
Bike Rescue continues to work hard to ensure our sustainability, and at the moment we are concentrating on expanding our training provision.
Bike Rescue has many loyal staff and volunteers without whom the project would never have got off the ground. It seems inconceivable that York would not have a bicycle recycling scheme, but it is only the energy and time of many volunteers and of dedicated staff that have made it possible.
Would you like to become a trustee?
Our board of six trustees first met in a shadow capacity in the autumn of 2013 as The Bike Rescue Project. We made the transformation from a CIC to a Charity, a process completed in 2014. We are a friendly group who meet approximately every one to two months and work together by phone and email in between meetings.
Trustees contribute to different aspects of the charity, including management of volunteers, planning of events, applying for funding and liaison with Bike Rescue partners. Trustees all oversee the management and finances of the charity.
We would like to recruit two to three new trustees to bring new energy and perspectives to the group. These are the skills and attributes that we are looking for in a new trustee:
- Supports the core aims of Bike Rescue
- Based in or near to York
- Able to attend a minimum of six meetings per year in York (usually held weekday evenings after 5.30pm) and spend time between meetings on specific aspects of management of the charity
- Able to communicate well with both staff and fellow trustees, a good team player
- Proactive, and able to think strategically the work of the charity
We hope that any applicant would have expertise in one or more of the following:
- running volunteer programmes
- delivering training
- strategic and business planning
- organisational and staff management, human resources
- accounts and finances
- legal aspects of managing a charity
- marketing and social media
- external relations, including community links If you have any questions, please email or phone Sarah Walpole: email@example.com, 07517 243 783
To apply to become a trustee, please submit your CV and letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is 31st March and interviews and discussions will take place in March/April to fit your availability.
- Download this page as a Word document: Trustee Recruitment, January 2016